2 Aug 2008

PUERTO RICOS MOST WANTED – BLUE FLAMBOYAN TREE

Author: Stefan | Filed under: Landscaping, Plants, Puerto Rico

As you guys know, we have been working on the yard like crazy. The fruits of our labor (no pun intended) are really starting to show their faces. The trees we planted are starting to flower a little, grow past the 2.5ft mark and we even have a little lime tree popping off its first lime (although, I think he is too young).

A few of our Flamboyon Trees have also really taken off. They are growing so fast, who would have thought? Well, now, Summer and I need your help! Does anyone know where we can find Blue Flamboyon Flamboyan trees?

Look how beautiful they are:

blue flamboyon tree

29 Responses to “PUERTO RICOS MOST WANTED – BLUE FLAMBOYAN TREE”

1. Rob Says:

It’s spelled Flamoyan :)

2. Rob Says:

*Flamboyan! sorry. I hit submit before I checked the spelling

3. jeff kruse Says:

We got a little (4 inch) start for $2 at Eida Jardin (not Enaida in Cabo Rojo) a mile from our home in San German. The tree is now 9 feet tall! Whoa! No flowers yet of course but spectacular growth. Next time I am there I’ll see if they’ve got another and let you know…katrina

4. Rosa Says:

the blue Flamboyan is beautiful! Good luck in getting one.
    Rosa

5. Marlene Says:

It is not a real Flamboyan, is a cousin, family of it. The flower is different if you can compare them… Sorry I do not remember the name.

6. candice Says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 4

7. Solweig Says:

Yesterday we got two small plants of this blue flamboyan at the Festival in Gurabo.. now I need to know how to care for them.. i.e. sun or shade, kind of soil etc. Somebody who knows?

8. mari Says:

The tree your looking for is not a flamboyan it is a Jacaranda, its similar but it’s another family.

9. Cynthia Says:

I think is jacaranda.

10. Digna Says:

I have been looking for a way to bring a Flamboyán from Puerto Rico to my home in Southern California. I can’t bring a huge tree here of course, but if there’s a way to buy it here I’d love to know.

The blue flowering tree you show in your photo is a Jacaranda, and grows profusely in Southern Ca especially in older neighborhoods around Whittier and La Habra.

Digna

11. Ruth Says:

I brought seed pods from the tree in front of my mother-in-law’s house in Cabo Rojo. I sprouted 17 seeds, and gave most to family members all over the Central Florida area.

All of them died but one, and it is now about 10 – 15 yrs old. It started flowering after about 5 yrs. It gets covered with beautiful flowers, of course, but it is also a wonderful shade tree for the entire front of my house in Orlando.

This year I have more seed pods than I have ever had. I have hundreds of seeds. I am going to start sprouting them and see how many little trees I can get going.

I was told that Flamboyan trees wouldn’t grow here, wouldn’t survive, and wouldn’t flower, but this tree has proven everyone wrong. It has survived lightening strikes, Hurricane Charlie, freezes, and it is now taller than my house and has a huge canopy.

12. eduardo weiss Says:

The blue tree is a Jacaranda
    I brough multiple seeds from Santa Barbara CA and they are growing nicely down here in Aventura FL.
    I was recently visiting Rio Grande Puerto Rico where I saw the most beautiful Flamboyan trees as well as Jacarandas.

13. Trinita Says:

Ruth,
    Would you sell some of your seeds? I am in love with this magnificent tree after visiting Puerto Rico this summer. Please, let me know. Thanks a lot,

Trinita

14. Digna Says:

Hi! I love your blog! I asked one ? and was so surprised to receive such a prompt response. Hadn’t had time to go back into it, and I find you’ve now grown it to such a huge amt of information! It’s cook you’re having a baby and sharing the information with us here. Thank you.

Now if you don’t mind I have another question about Flamboyán trees (do you think I’m obcessed? well, yeah, a bit). I brought back seeds from PR in June. I’ve been soaking them per on-line instructions for about 4 weeks now; first soaked in hot water then kept very moist in a baggie w a paper towel. NADA NADA NADA. Seeds are still just as hard and nothing is sprouting. I picked the vines myself (climbed on the car roof on the way to La Parguera one day) from a young (based on the size as it was small) tree. They were dry and easy to pop open and the seeds look just like all other Flamboyán seeds, which is hard and dry.

The second method I’ve found includes soaking seeds in acid and the third is to drill holes in the outer shell and continue soaking. I don’t know if I want to soak in acid yet, but this weekend we made holes in some of the seeds and placed them back in a plastic bag w wet towel. The seed bags sit in a sunny spot to keep warm.

Should they be placed in a warm dark spot? should they remain soaking in a wet towel and plasic bag or wrapper? Has anyone sprouted their own Flamboyán tree?

Thanks for your help and suggestions. Digna

15. andrew Says:

Ruth,

I am in the Orlando area as well, would you be willing to share a few of the seeds or seedlings?

Thanks,
    Andrew

16. RICKY Says:

i aswell am interested in finding this tree, i live in aventura florida and would love to purchase some seeds, i was in puerto rico this summer and saw one, but couldnt find any seeds to take hoe, can anyone help, i want it as a gift for my mother

17. zoraida (zory) Says:

I am in Ocala and I am growing flamboyants. I gave a lot away and know that one is growing in Port St. Lucie. The only one that has flowered is in my neighbors yard in the back of my house. I had given her two and they both flowered. They were only two years old. We had a bad winter this year and we thought we lost them but to our amazement they survived. I think they are in the wild family of trees. So far mine have not flowered yet but I am hoping that they will in the 5th year. Any suggestions to expedite the flowering. In addition I am trying to bonsai one. Keep growing your beautiful garden!!!!

18. Eduardo Weiss Says:

its a jacaranda idiots

19. Milly Says:

The tree that we know in Puerto Rico as “Flamboyan” is known in the states as “Royal Ponciana Tree” see website, http://mgonline.com/articles/royalp.aspx.
    Also, If you look up the Blue ponciana you will get a couple of hits!
    Good Luck!!!

20. Joe Says:

We went to Puerto Rico a few years back. My wife took some seeds and potted them. We live in Austin, TX. Anyway, she didn’t soak them but she did take them in during the winter. During the warmer weather they sit in pots on the porch. So far they’ve grown about a foot.

21. Mitch Says:

Hey Joe! We live in Austin as well and I just got some seed pods from Puerto Rico. Did your wife take them out of the pod or how did she do it? What kind of soil did y’all use with them? I’d love to see if I could get one to grow up here! Thanks!

22. Nilda Says:

I just found this website looking on information on Flamboyan trees. I was in Puerto Rico a few days ago and it was breathtaking to see all the flanyanes in bloom. I never saw a blue one, or Jacaranda.
    I grew a Flanboyan a few years back but I live in South Carolina and it gets too cold for them also and they shed a lot. I am going to try again.
    Maybe I’ll have to conform myself with a painting.

23. William del Valle Says:

There is NO BLUE FLAMBOYAN people!
    It a Jacaranda, and the flower is completely different from the PR orange flowering tree. The PR FLAMBOYAN is not even indigenous to the Caribean, although it has become a symbolic tree here. Do a little more research on your own on the web and you’ll find all the different areas your much wanted BLUE tree grows, including the US.

24. maria Says:

i want 2 no how many flamboyan seeds do i need to plant or so i just plant one seed plz i need help…

25. Henry Says:

My wife and I live in Myrtle Beach, S. Carolina and bought some pods back from P.R. last year. Removed the seeds from the pods and planted them in a pot in regular potting soil. They started growing almost immediately and we now have four small trees approx. 2 to 3 ft tall. Right now they have started to flower. Going to keep them indoor over the winter and plant them outside in the spring.

26. Michael Quintana in Cape Coral, FL Says:

I found them at my local Lowes, here is the link and it’s called a Jaracanda Tree. http://www.lowes.com/pd_119717-22965-NURSERY_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3625124&UserSearch=jacaranda&Ntt=jacaranda&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

Good luck.
    Michael.

27. Nitza Castillo Says:

I “JUST” order 10 seeds of the Blue Flamboyan tree on ebay for $5.00

28. Cristobal Says:

i live in Puerto Rico and the most beautiful flanboyan is white

29. Maria Says:

For those of you looking for seeds of the “blue flamboyant” they are “Jacaranda” in US. You can get the seeds on line.