24 Feb 2011

What To Do With All This Papaya?

Author: Summer | Filed under: Food, Gardening, Recipes and Food

papaya recipesApparently papaya is easy to grow because we have papaya trees popping up all over the property! Another nice thing about papaya is that they produce fruit very quickly. Where as citrus/avocado trees take several years to start producing fruit, papayas start producing fruit in a year or less. Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of papaya! It just smells like funky foot cheese with a little bit of aroma de puke. Regardless, I have tried to figure out ways that we can use all of these papayas, rather then let them rot and be wasted. So far there have been several attempts at different uses for papaya that we have tried:

- Feed them to Sydney (she doesn’t like it that much)
- Dehydrate it (still tastes funky to me)
- Make pepper from the seeds (wasn’t flavorful enough to be used in place of pepper)
- Add green papaya to our salads (this is really good! Thanks for the suggestion Katrina!)
- Feed them to the horses next door (they love it)
- Add it to smoothies (just don’t add too much so you don’t get that funky foot aftertaste)
- Make papaya jam (this is REALLY good!)

Most recently I made papaya jam and it was really, really good and really, really easy. This is what you need:

5 cups of mashed papaya
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups of sugar
60g of pectin

Remove the papaya seeds, chop up the papaya and mash it up. Leave it chunky if you like chunks of fruit in your jam or throw it in the food processor to make it smoother. Heat the papaya, orange juice and pectin. When it begins to boil stir in the sugar. When it begins to boil again, let it boil for 1 minute (be careful to not let it boil for longer as you risk over-cooking the pectin which can cause your jam to not set correctly). Ladle the jam while it is still hot into sterilized canning jars and let the jam cool.

Wasn’t that easy?! The original recipe called for 5 cups of sugar, but even cutting it down to 2 cups left the jam very sweet (so sweet, in fact that I am going to try it with 1 cup next time). The only hard part to this papaya jam recipe is finding pectin in Puerto Rico. I ended up ordering it on eBay. You can also find it on Amazon.com, but you have to buy it in bulk.

Here is another recipe for papaya jam, that I have not tried yet, but it looks good (and you don’t need pectin):

1 cup papaya
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mash the papaya, mix with sugar and heat to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking while stirring constantly. When the mixture becomes sticky, add butter and lemon juice. Stir for 1 minute. Let cool.

Anyone have other suggestions on good uses for papaya? :)

Tags: , , , , ,

19 Responses to “What To Do With All This Papaya?”

1. YoMaMa Says:

Papaya good for your skin. Effectively works if your skin is damaged or you want to boost up its condition with further nourishment. Helps in exfoliating and removing dead cells from the upper layer of skin. It makes our skin youthful, spotless, blemish free, radiant and age-proof. Grate one green papaya and grind into fine paste in blender. Apply that on your face as face mask. If you suffer from acne and pimples you will get benefited from this treatment. You can also use lemon juice in this mask. This mask helps to make your skin oil free. It cleanses the clogged pores of the skin by removing dead skin, thus making the skin radiant and glowing.

Well-loved. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 4 Thumb down 0

2. Rosana Says:

How about adding apples or apple sauce to get the pectin? I don’t know if it will give you the amount of pectin and if it does, it will also help you cut back on the amount of sugar you have to add.

3. Rosana Says:

Should have wrote above: “I don’t know if it will give you the amount of pectin you are looking for”.
    Sorry, working and typing, not a good thing to do.

Back to work now.

Toodles

4. Summer Says:

Maybe you should move to PR and make high-end beauty products from all of our left over fruit ;). I know someone that can make you a website! haha

5. Summer Says:

That’s a good idea. I didn’t know you could get pectin from apples…I will try that next time! :)

6. katrinakruse Says:

There is pectin in citrus seeds and rind(white part) – just boil the seeds with the juice/sugar mix as it reduces down. Takes a while to get right but if things are too stiff you boil them down and add water. We used to have the papaya problem then cut them down and didn’t replant (now we miss them on cereal). The problem is they are only ok right when you cut them then they turn to gel. You might be able to use pureed papaya instead of oil in banana bread – I’ve used carambola that way and had very moist, oil-free banana bread. Haven’t tried it but it is worth a shot. Not my favorite fruit either!

7. Mcmom50 Says:

I also heard that it was really good as a masque to reduce wrinkles.

8. adolfojp Says:

You should definitely try “Dulce de papaya”, also known as “Dulce de lechoza”. There are a few different recipes but the first google search result gives me this: http://www.ricanrecipes.com/recipes/detail.php?category_id=10&id=38

It will not taste like puke. I guarantee it. :-)

9. Patria Says:

Do you know how to make Piña Colada?

Yes of course you do…just substitute the Pineapple for Papaya. Mmmmm

Papaya milkshake is heavenly also…Throw Papaya chunks in the blender, ice, milk, sugar and vanilla. Oh and you can garnish it with cinnamon… You can also freeze this mix in the 4 ounce little disposable cups and offer it to your kid during the hot summer days. We call it ‘Limber’, and you can use any juice flavor you like.

10. emanders13 Says:

Do what adolfojp says, Dulce de Papaya. My mother in law makes it all the time and brings out to our place. Super good. That and a little white cheese what a combo…

11. Debbie Says:

Pickled papaya:

2 cups distilled white vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    zest of 2 lemons
    2 cups thin sliced papaya
    1 tbsp spice mix (recipe below)
    bring water and sugar to a boil in non-reactive (NOT aluminum) saucepan. Remove
    from heat, add zest and spice mixture and stir to combine. Pour over the papaya and
    refrigerate up to 2 weeks (I keep longer)

Spice Mix (grind all together in a coffee grinder and store for future use)
    1 Tablespoon whole allspice
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    4 Tablespoon coriander seeds
    1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
    1 Tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns
    1 Tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

12. katrinakruse Says:

Debbie – Green papaya? This recipe sounds pretty good!

13. Indiecita Says:

If you have too many you should try to sell them to a local minimarket or a local fruit vendor. My In laws have a small minimarket in Luquillo and they buy fruit and vegetables from local farmers.

14. emanders13 Says:

Indiecita, can you tell me the name of the minimarket? We live in Rio Grande and always have a lot of stuff to sell.

15. carissa Says:

Awesome webstie. Thanks for the tips with papaya.

16. Keila Says:

I didnt read all the suggestions, so I dont know if others all ready told this…but you can add some vanilla ice cream and make a smoothie. That will help to hide the funky flavor. You can also make dulce de papaya. The recipe is quite easy and taste great with some queso blanco.

17. Pablo Says:

Papaya has some great properties I’d heard. Supposed to be a good meat tenderizer. And it is also good as an anti-inflamatory for the body. Llike for a bruise, or any body part inflamation from an injury.

18. Daniel Says:

Awesome receipe! Very easy and DELICIOUS. I could not stop eating it. I added a little vainilla and orange juice instead of lemon (bcause i didnt have any). Thx for sharing! I will have to make some more!

19. Bud Carroll Says:

Makes great ‘pumpkin” pie; substitute for squash soup; makes great cake; superb juice – and HEALTHY!